Palma City Hall (“Ajuntament de Palma”) has a special charm. Its building dates from the 17th century. It is located in Plaça de Cort, where in the past many courts and curiae of the jurisdictional lordships, which were abolished by the Courts of Cadiz in 1811, used to gather.
The City Hall building is located on one side of the square.
It is a singular building, which was built on the site of Sant Andreu Hospital, founded by the knight Nunyo Sanç in 1230 after the conquest.
In 1249, this spot became the headquarters of the University of the Town and Kingdom of Mallorca. The construction of the current City Hall building began in 1649 and went on until the middle of the 18th century.
This building reproduces a three-story Mallorcan stately home. The ground floor has two side portals with baroque shields, and a long stone bench popularly known as “the bench of the lazy people.”
On the facade, there is a clock known as Es Figuera.
Inside the ground floor it is important to highlight the Gothic portal of the old Sant Andreu Hospital and the staircase that leads to the main floor, where you can meet the two giants. In the past, the City Hall was popularly known as “La Sala”.
Both the Municipal Library and the historical archive of Mallorca are located in these premises.
Official reserve accommodation
Book online hotel, apartments, serviced apartments, hostels, cottages, villas and boutique hotels in Mallorca (Balearic Islands). Tour to travel to Mallorca on holiday or business trips.
Mallorca Hotel Business Federation - NIF V07221435 - Aragón 215 3ª planta - (07008) Palma de Mallorca - Illes Balears - Spain.
Recorded in the Executive Office Deposit Statute of Professional Associations of the Balearic Islands, dated September 1977.